Home (2019) Forums Post Discussions Historical Accuracy is Absolute Bunk by Esme Brett

last updated by Eva 1 month, 3 weeks ago
2 voices
1 reply
  • Author
      Frolic
      Keymaster

[Note from Frolic: We are so excited to have writer Esme Brett guest post on the site today. Take it away, Esme!] I read a lot of historical romance.
      [See the full post at: Historical Accuracy is Absolute Bunk by Esme Brett]

Eva
      Participant

HI Esme I loooved your article, the blindspots that writers (and readers) have regarding what is deemed ‘accurate’ and we all have these blindspots as readers and writers.. One of the challenges of writing historical romance is how do you play with the taken for granted tropes in romance ‘- dissolute’ dukes anyone? While bringing a critical sensibility to it. One of the things I cringe about along with the whiteness of the world is the class BS that plays out. These romance heroes that fumble with maids and tumble with servants to get their ‘experience’ – can read really ickily in a context where consent and assault and abuses of power are now key current feminist concerns . (#Metoo anyone) ) And yes I know sex with the hidden classes in households was common but it is how it is written, how we as writers allow those unnamed women and girls to be seen within the story, and to have their own agency expressed. So there are issues of historical accuracy and then there are also issues concerning how historical romances writes about expressions of male power and privilege that does more than show that a character has sexual experience and is ‘getting some’ from the scullery maid….

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

[snax_content]

Forgot password?

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Privacy Policy

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.

Scroll to Top