[Note from Frolic: We are so excited to have author Sawyer Bennett guest post on the site today. Take it away Sawyer!]
My name is Sawyer Bennett and I am obsessed with Thor, the God of Thunder. And I’m not talking about the mythological one. I’m talking about the tall, well-built, sometimes shiny with sweat, always steals my breath Thor, as portrayed by Chris Hemsworth in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Confession: I am not even a little bit ashamed.
When we first meet Thor, he’s cocky and somewhat reckless. His father, Odin, has stripped him of his powers and banished him to Midgard (the realm otherwise known as Earth), so he can be ogled by save us mere mortals. Okay, not put here to save us so much as it was a teaching moment between father and son, but it was a happy coincidence that he was here on Earth when we needed him most (though, to be fair, Earth might not have needed saving had he not been here in the first place, but not the point. HE IS A HERO. Moving on…).
Right. So Thor is a hero, and he gets the girl and everyone is all *swoon*. But what is the point of this article, you ask? Thor is the perfect alpha romance hero and let me tell you why.
1. He is cocky and so full of himself that he sometimes can’t comprehend why things are the way they are. He, like many romance heroes, think that things should just happen because of who he is. To his credit, they often do. But when they don’t, he can’t figure out why.
2. When he sets his mind to something, there is no stopping him or his magic hammer, Mjolnir. (Mjolnir is an actual magic hammer gifted to him by his father to help him harness his power. So, unlike in a romance novel, there is no dirty euphemism here. Sorry to disappoint. I’ll try harder…) Focused and determined, absolute musts for an alpha.
3. He transforms from this somewhat selfish man-child to a strong-willed, selfless man. By the time we get to Thor in the later years (think ‘Thor: Ragnarok’), he is the hero we never knew we all needed. He puts himself in danger time and time again for the greater good and does so with a healthy dose of ego and humor. Protective AND charming? That’s Romance 101.
4. While we’re talking about humor, can we talk about how funny Thor is? Some of the one-liners he drops have me laughing out loud, even after seeing the movies multiple times. I can’t think of a characteristic that is more attractive than a man who can poke fun at himself once in a while.
5. And the most obvious reason Thor is the perfect romance hero—he’s smoking hot. Now, don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to objectify Thor. Just kidding. I am absolutely about to objectify him. Thor was hot from the first time we met him, but much like a well-aged bottle of scotch, that man just keeps getting better. I adore the Thor of yesteryear, with the long flowing locks of gold (which is still my preferred Thor ‘do), but there is something to be said for the Thor of today with his sheared tresses and painted face as he marches into battle on Sakaar. And don’t even get me started on his abs. It’s like Thor is all grown up and ready to show you just what he can do.
Thor, for all the reasons mentioned above and more, is a staple in my home. I own the movies, have watched them all repeatedly, and may or may not be able to recite the majority of ‘Thor: Ragnarok’ (I totally can). Even my office is included in Thor-mania, with my cardboard cut-out in the corner, and my Funko POP! on my desk. All an ode to the sexiest 1500-year-old man I know.
And, of course, I am raising my five-year old daughter to appreciate the finer things in life. She refers to Thor as “hubba-hubba”. But don’t worry, I’m not completely corrupting her. She’d still much rather be Wonder Woman or Hela (a non-evil version of her, of course) and do the ass kicking as opposed to sitting back and waiting for Thor (or any of the other Marvel hotties heroes) to save her. Though, it should be noted, that she’ll be wearing a pink princess dress when she does. Because in our house, girls rule and sometimes the boys make us drool. #longliveThor
About the Author
Since the release of her debut contemporary romance novel, Off Sides, in January 2013, Sawyer Bennett has released multiple books, many of which have appeared on the New York Times, USA Today and Wall Street Journal bestseller lists. When not bringing fictional romance to life, Sawyer is a chauffeur, stylist, chef, maid, and personal assistant to a very active daughter, as well as full-time servant to her adorably naughty dogs. Sawyer also writes sweet romance under the pen name Juliette Poe, and contemporary fiction as S. Bennett. If you’d like to receive a notification when Sawyer releases a new book, sign up for her newsletter (sawyerbennett.com/signup), or text ROMANCE to 474747.
✦ Facebook ➜ https://www.facebook.com/bennettbooks/
✦ Twitter ➜ https://twitter.com/BennettBooks
✦ Instagram ➜ https://www.instagram.com/sawyerbennett123/
Legend by Sawyer Bennett out now!
Everything is clicking for the Vengeance. We may be new, but we’re well on our way to winning the championship, and I’m having the time of my life headlining the sports media as the hottest goalie—hell, player—ever. I for one am going to live up to my name . . . because I am Legend Bay.
Dragging my ass home from the gym, I’m blinded by some gaudy, glowing holiday lights. As usual, my hot-as-hell neighbor Pepper Nantais has gone way over the top. But just as I’m about to tell her off, something else catches my eye . . . Seems like Santa left me a present, and not one I was expecting.
As life takes an unexpected turn, I realize that there’s much more to Pepper than meets the eye. Sure, she’s gorgeous. And exasperating. And her taste in decorating may be a bit . . . unique.
But beneath her carefree demeanor is a fierce determination and a heart of gold. And before I know it I’ve fallen for her. Hard . ..
Pepper is exactly the woman I never knew I needed.